About Me

My photo
This is the blog where I talk about the latest movies I've seen. These are my two Schnauzers, Rufus (left) and Marley (right, RIP). As of now, the Double Hollywood Strikes are officially over. May the next strikes not last as long as these ones did.

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Jagshemash! My name Borat. I'm big reporter for nation of Kazakhstan. I was on movie screens fourteen years ago in famous movie film called Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. But that movie film make America think Kazakhstan is big joke. So I go to Gulag. But Premier Nazarbayev decide to give me chance. He tell me to deliver gift to American Premier (soon to be not Premier) to win America favor. That gift is Johnny the Monkey.

Actually, due to certain circumstances, like kitty kat says, I can't deliver gift to American Premier. So I aim for next best thing: American Vice Premier.

But my daughter Tutar stow away with me to America. She ate Johnny the Monkey on the way there. So I decide to offer Tutar to American Vice Premier. What follows is trip full of things kitty kat won't let me say. But he let me say Tutar learns to be independent woman who questions what her daddy (me) says. It's a problem because I will be execute if I fail. All this and more are in Amazon Prime exclusive movie film called Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

And you want to know who the kitty kat is?

Me. Jethro. Trying my best Borat. Time to talk as myself.

The screenplay credits Sacha Baron Cohen, the creator and portrayer of Borat himself, and eight other writers. The film gives Borat and Tutar (in reality, Maria Bakalova) a crazy trip across the East Coast. Its politically incorrect humor is not for everyone. But it does a good job showing the idiocy of being narrow-minded. Borat is so narrow-minded that he makes conspiracy theorists, like the two he meets, almost look sane. The normal people seen casually going along with Borat's wackiness is amusingly horrifying.

Of course, Borat and Tutar are idiotically narrow-minded. But Baron Cohen and Bakalova play their parts with utter sincerity. These absurd characters feel like real people. Seriously. They question their minuscule worldview during the film and end up marginally better people. Marginally, but still. There's a great makeup team giving Borat some wacky disguises and Tutar a progressively glamorous appearance.

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm is either a long awaited sequel or completely unnecessary. I'm sure it will please fans of the first film. It's just as as politically-incorrect and as insightful as the first film. Its climactic twist is perhaps the most topical of its jokes. Did I say too much? 

It tested my comic tolerance quite a bit. But it got better once I understood the method to its madness. You might see what I mean when you press play on Amazon Prime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment