About Me

My photo
This is the blog where I talk about the latest movies I've seen. These are my two Schnauzers, Rufus (left) and Marley (right, RIP). As of now, the Double Hollywood Strikes are officially over. May the next strikes not last as long as these ones did.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Deadpool

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was a pretty forgettable movie, but one thing almost saved it. That was Ryan Reynolds as the loony assassin Wade Wilson, alias Deadpool. But they wasted it by turning him into a joyless "mutant killer" played by another actor.

Flash-forward to now and Fox and Reynolds are ready to try again. Deadpool has his own movie now. And it's the opposite of joyless. Who better to explain the plot than the merc with a mouth?

Yay!

So I'm Wade Wilson, former special forces guy turned protector of the innocent. I have a hot girlfriend, Vanessa (that's good!), and cancer of the everything (that's bad!). The guys at my favorite bar bet on which of us will bite it first. That's the Deadpool from which I get my super identity. But I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

Yes, you are.

Quiet you.

A guy shows up offering to cure my cancer and make me a superhero. So I turn guinea-pig. That's when I meet Francis (Ed Skrein) and his partner, Angel Dust (Gina Carano). Francis is the censored scientist who tortures me so my dormant mutant genes can give me a superpower. I get a healing factor (that's good!) that roadblocks my cancer (that's awesome!) and destroys my good looks (that sucks!). And then Francis leaves me to die when the place goes up in smoke. (It was kind of my fault. I made the place go boom.)

But I'm still here. And I can't bring myself to see Vanessa (Morena Baccarin) in my condition. I want some payback. I put on a red suit and go hunting for Francis. These two X-men, Colossus (body by Andre Tricoteux, voice by Stefan Kapičić) and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Brianna Hildebrand), want me to join them. But I don't wanna. Francis decides to nab Vanessa to get to me. So I have to get their help.

And since you're reviewing the movie ... Deadpool out.

Yes, I am.

The movie prides itself as an anti-superhero movie. There is, of course, all the blood and language X-Men Origins never had. But we also have Deadpool break the fourth wall like it was never there. The opening credits give jokey descriptions to the cast and filmmakers (i.e. Stan Lee is "A Gratuitous Cameo"). There are also left-hooks delivered to Deadpool's portrayal in X-Men Origins. The metaphysical violence makes for the best laughs of the film.

Deadpool and his supporting characters are memorable. His first scene endears him to the audience as an honest, goofy anti-hero. He says he's not a hero, but his heart's in the right place. His relationship with Vanessa is endearing; Vanessa herself is much better than typical damsels in distress. His sidekicks are capable straight men to Deadpool's zany one. I just wish there was more of one of his non-mutant sidekicks, Blind Al (Leslie Uggams).

Director Tim Miller makes the most of $58 million. The visual effects are amazing for the budget, especially the opening shot, which travels along a spinning car with Deadpool and bad guys. The mutant powers are also nicely realized. The editing helps punctuate the action and humor. The fight scenes are exciting and tense. These elements help make it a fun movie.

Exercise caution if you take your kids to Deadpool. Or don't bring them at all. Those who come won't be disappointed. It's a much more memorable portrayal of the title character than last time. It's also much smarter and mature than advertisements might portray it. It stands with the best superhero films rather than on top of their smoking carcasses. And that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment